In present fast-paced world, I think hardly a few people have ample time to take care of their health. We do try to adopt healthy habits but most of us out there are just stuck in a 9 to 5 job and we are never able to take steps to take care of our health. You must have heard many persons and even yourself might be saying that from tomorrow I will take care of my health; I will hit the gym; I will ride a bicycle, but that tomorrow never comes.
Today we are going to talk about one step which everybody must take to protect their health. This step is “Health Insurance.” We have heard and even viewed advertisements of different health insurance companies. In this post, e are going to familiarize you with the Top 10 Health Insurance Companies America 2017. Before telling you about the medical insurance companies some important questions need to be answered.
Best Health Insurance Companies For Medicare:
- Health Insurance is a type of insurance that ensures that an individual’s medical and surgical expenses are covered whenever it is required by the individual.
- This can be in two ways. Either the individual will pay out of his own pocket and later the insurance company will reimburse or the insurance company will directly pay to the healthcare provider.
- Since the USA is one of those countries where universal health coverage is not available the government has made mandatory that every individual must have a health insurance policy otherwise he/she might face a penalty.
BENEFITS / WHY DO YOU NEED HEALTH INSURANCE?
- With ever-increasing costs of health care facilities; a health insurance ensures that you can pay your medical bills as and when required.
- A health insurance protects you and your family financially in case any unexpected medical emergency occurs.
- We can never know when a medical emergency can strike so a health insurance covers gives you a sense of relief that you and your loved ones are protected.
- Also, it has been examined that persons who have health insurance are more regular in keeping their health up to date by periodic tests and the casual visit to the doctor.
TYPES OF HEALTH INSURANCE PLANS IN USA
There are 5 major health insurance plans which are described in brief for you below:
HMO (HEALTH MAINTENANCE ORGANIZATIONS)
- HMOs have a network of health care providers and they insist that you get treatment within their circle of providers itself.
- So you have least freedom to choose your healthcare provider. However, this type of plan has the least amount of paperwork.
- This is the cheapest kind of insurance plan. In some cases, you might have to make a copayment for some services so read the offer document carefully before choosing.
- You just require to pay a set premium and not required to give anything if you are visiting health care providers within the circle of HMO so HMOs provide health care directly to the insured.
PPO (PREFERRED PROVIDER ORGANIZATION)
- This is similar to HMO but there is moderate freedom to choose health care provider according to our own will.
- However, you may require to shell out some extra bucks if you go to see your own health care provider outside the circle of PPO.
- Paperwork is also more in this.
POINT-OF-SERVICE PLAN (POS)
- This plan is like a hybrid of HMO and PPO. You have the freedom to choose your own healthcare provider but you are required to pay more in that case.
- You are given a primary physician who tends to all your needs and refers you to health care providers within the POS circle if needed.
- This plan does have a lot of paperwork though.
- Under this, you have the freedom to choose your own healthcare provider and later the provider or the insured submits a claim to the insurance company for reimbursement.
- However, you are required to read the benefits carefully before choosing the plan so that you have to give the least cost from your side.
HSAs (HEALTH SAVING ACCOUNTS)
- These are tax-free savings account whose main goal is to build some amount for future medical expenses.
- They are good for small businesses who just want to get protected somehow but not able to pay more cost.
So now you have the basic knowledge of health insurance and you are looking for local health insurance companies. We have made the following health insurance company listing for you compiling the Top 10 Major Medical Insurance Companies in USA 2017:
UNITED HEALTH GROUP
- Out of all the different health insurance companies, United Health Group comes at the top as it has a vast pool of about 1 million physicians and 6,000 hospitals.
- Its IT platform, Optum is in use in almost every US Hospital. The company provides up to 300 health insurance plans so you definitely will find the one which suits you best.
- It has a subscriber base of about 70 million.
- Anthem with about 40 million subscribers is another big name in the list of health insurance names in the USA.
- Anthem was formed in 2004 by the merger of Anthem and WellPoint Health Networks.
- It provides you with different health insurance plans like Med Care Advantage and even plans are there for drugs coverage.
- Trusted by millions of Americans Anthem comes second in our list of health insurance companies.
- Aetna has over 23 million subscribers.
- It was established in 1853 and is based in Hartford, Connecticut.
- In 2013 Coventry Health Care was taken up by them giving a further boost to its growth in the health insurance sector making it one of the major healthcare insurance company
- Majority of the people often say that Aetna provides quick and reliable service and is always covering the basic metric of high quality.
- Founded in 1961, Humana has currently over 50,000 associates across the nation and more than 15 million subscribers.
- The company runs on its mission statement that by 2020 every person it servers has to get 20 percent healthier than what they are currently.
- The company has a great service with high quality and provide better healthcare facilities to its members.
- Cigna is one of the most trusted out of all the different health insurance companies. With more than 30,000 employees and over 15 million subscribers, it is one of the major medical insurance companies.
- Cigna’s policies definitely benefit the people above 65 years of age.
- Cigna was formed by a merger in 1982 between the INA Corporation and Connecticut General Corporation
- For Cigna Health Plans Please Go Through Official Website
- Kaiser Permanente is made up of three distinct but interdependent groups of entities: the Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc. (KFHP) and its regional operating subsidiaries; Kaiser Foundation Hospitals; and the regional Permanente Medical Groups.
- By 2015 it had 10.2 million health plan members, 186,497 employees, 18,652 physicians, 51,010 nurses, 38 medical centers, and 622 medical offices.
- They give high quality of care and their doctors are salaried.
- For Details of Health Plans Click Here
HEALTH CARE SERVICE CORPORATION
- Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC) is the licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association for 5 states. Its work is concentrated in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.
- The 4th largest health insurer in the US overall, it has more than 22,000 employees and serves nearly 15 million members.
- You can get group life, disability, and dental solutions and many other individual solutions. The company also provides various care management and wellness resources.
- Largest Customer Owned Health insurance Company. Check Health Plans here
- Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies.
- It has various plans in health insurance, dental insurance, vision care and even reinsurance.
- Highmark holds its belief in the following values:
- People Matter
- Customer-focused collaboration
- It is definitely among the ten largest health insurance names in the United States and is the fourth-largest Blue Cross and Blue Shield-affiliated company.
- Visit Official Website Click Here
INDEPENDENCE BLUE CROSS GROUP (IBC)
- IBC is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
- It is based in Philadelphia and is the largest health insurer in the region with over 2 million people. Nationwide it has more than 7 million people covered under it.
- You can get the traditional indemnity insurance also from here.
- Its network has more than 160 hospitals in its area and over 42000 physicians.
- Check out Health Plans
- Molina Health Care is a managed care healthcare insurance company. Managed care includes HMOs, POS & PPO.
- Headquartered in California the company has definitely made its subscribers happy by making them pay less money and get more in return in respect of medical care.
- They have a very efficient customer service available to assist you.
- By 2015 the company’s plans were serving about 3 million people.
So folks if you are searching for “health insurance companies near me” then this list will definitely help you in getting one of the best available health plans for yourself.
I hope this Top 10 List of Health Insurance Companies USA 2017 will help you.
In case you have any suggestions regarding any other health insurance company please feel free to comment below and we will look into your suggestion.